Thursday, April 29, 2010

Introduction

Здравствуйте and welcome to my spring intensive independent study on American film! Over the next few weeks, I will be watching some or all of the films by three American directors from different periods of the 20th and 21st centuries: Frank Capra (1930s-1950s), Stanley Kubrick (1950s-1990s), and Quentin Tarantino (1990s-2000s). I have 30-odd movies to watch before we leave for Africa on May 18th, so I plan on viewing at least two movies a day.
After watching each movie, I will publish an overall review on this blog. In addition, I have a list of comprehensive questions that I will consider while watching each film, and I will write down the answers that stand out. If possible, I will also do a mise en scene analysis for one image from each film. Later on in the independent study, I will write a short essay on each director in which I will elaborate on one aspect of their style. At the end, I will write a final reflection on the experience.
Unfortunately, I will likely not be able to watch the movies in chronological order, due to complications including Blockbuster being totally bogus. However, it should be lots of fun nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment